A friend gave me this recipe. A woman from India created this using ingredients found in the U.S. She said it is similar to a snack mix her aunt made in India. The servings are approximate.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 tablespoon red pepper powder or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- add 12 ounces Spanish peanuts
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup lemon juice
- add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- add 3/4 cup cooking oil
- add 2 cups Corn Chex
- add 1/2 cup chopped onions
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- add 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1 (12 ounce) package chow mein noodles
- add 1/8 teaspoon hing (Can be found in international grocery stores or omit)
- add 2 cups shredded wheat cereal
- add 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- add 3 cups Rice Krispies
- In a large bowl, mix cereals together. Do not mix in noodles.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Fry mustard seeds and cumin seeds well.
- Add noodles and heat for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add other spices and mix well. Mix in peanuts.Add two handfuls of the cereal mix and mix well.Add oil mix to remaining cereal mix in bowl and stir well.
- Place in baking dish and cook in 250 degree oven for 25- 30 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls. For each serving, stir in 1 tablespoon chopped onions and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, more or less to taste.
- You can also add more red pepper if you like foods that are EXTREMELY hot. Serve with something cold to drink.